The Garage can be a major danger zone for pets. Here’s why- most of the chemicals found in the garage are either flammable, corrosive, or highly toxic to your pet. Often times, we don’t keep our garage as clean as our house. If we spill a little window washer fluid or drop a bolt, most of us don’t feel the need to clean up right away. If you have a pet that follows you out to the garage, read below and make sure your garage is safe for your pet!
Animals are drawn to the sweet scent and taste of ANTIFREEZE. Because of this, antifreeze poisoning is one of the most common forms of poisoning in pets! Antifreeze contains a toxic chemical called ethylene glycol. When ingested, this chemical will do major damage to your pet, harming their brain, liver, and kidneys. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much of this ingredient to cause a great deal of damage. If you believe your pet has ingested antifreeze contact us IMMEDIATELY!
Products containing petroleum are also dangerous to pets, giving them a condition known as petroleum hydrocarbon toxicosis. The important thing is to know what is dangerous to your pet and keep them away from any accidental spills. Below is a list of items containing petroleum:
- Solvents (ie. paint thinner)
- Lubricants (ie. motor oil)
Use these products with caution. Clean spills immediately and store in tightly closed container on a shelf or in a cabinet. IF ingested, DO NOT induce vomiting. See your pet’s veterinarian immediately! These products can be harmful and irritating to the skin as well as the lungs when breathed in.
Battery Acid is highly corrosive and dangerous! Fortunately, poisoning from battery acid is not as common as the others listed above because most people are aware of it’s dangerous properties. However, because it is extremely dangerous, we feel it is worth mentioning! When working with car batteries, do not allow your pet to linger around and be sure to clean the floor immediately after any spills.
Keep nuts, bolts, screws, nails, wires, etc. away from your pet’s reach. These small shiny items may end up in their bellies and will end your pet in the OR!
Many de-icing compounds are dangerous to pets. Be sure to do your research and use de-icing salts that are pet friendly.
Pets are far more sensitive to Carbon Monoxide poisoning than we are! NEVER EVER leave your car running in a closed or restricted area! Watch for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which include red gums, mucous membranes around the eyes, twitching muscles, weakness, fever, and/or wobbly legs. If your pet does inhale fumes by accident, get him or her to fresh air immediately and call the veterinarian.