Ahh…. It’s here! It’s time to whip out that oh so comfy hoodie! Finally, you and your pet can catch a break from those hot
summer days. Fall usually brings about exciting changes, kids head back to school, soccer moms get revved up for a hectic season, bright hues of greens, oranges and yellows blanket the ground. You know what I’m getting at, right? With all these fun and exciting changes, we must warn you about the potential dangers that could put a 360 on your perfectly planned weekend and land you right into the animal emergency room! Now we all know you have NO time for that… So keep reading for some “good to know” tips to keep your pet snug and safe this autumn.
- FLEAS! Already have a warning out there on fleas, so I’m not going to bore you with more… this problem will most likely not land you in the pet ER but it might get you a room in the looney house.
- Rodenticides are HIGHLY TOXIC to pets. As the weather cools down rodents seek shelter inside- the use of rodenticides increase. Please use with EXTREME caution! Store in a safe place where you pet cannot access. If you suspect your pet got into the poison immediate care is necessary.
- Glue Sticks, markers, erasers, zip drives…. Homework?!?! It’s best to keep all these items out of paws reach! Most children’s back-to-school items are considered “low toxicity” BUT they could still cause gastrointestinal upset. Worst case scenario, a glue stick gets lodged in GI tract causing a blockage- time for surgery!
- Car coolant containing ethylene glycol- is highly toxic when ingested. Consider switching to a propylene glycol- based coolant… these are far less toxic, still not considered NONTOXIC but much safer! Either way, be sure to clean up all coolant spills immediately and store these items in a safe place.
- Spring and fall are mushroom seasons. Most mushrooms have little to no toxicity; however the 1% that are toxic are HIGHLY TOXIC!!! Unless you are a mushroom expert you probably aren’t able to identify the dangerous ones. So, it’s best to either call Poison Control Center or your veterinarian if you witness your pet nibbling on a wild mushroom.
- Planting any Tulip bulbs this fall? Don’t let your dog help—the bulbs are quite toxic! There are several other plants that are toxic to animals- check out the extensive list on the ASPCA’s website for more info on plant toxicity. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/
- Did you know that a cat or dog nibbling on a stink bug can cause GI upset—including vomiting and excessive salivation? So even though you could be happy about one less stink bug around your home, I would not recommend offering them as your pet’s afternoon snack!
We hope you find these safety tips helpful and this season full of crisp morning walks and afternoon snuggle sessions with your furry kids.
As always, we’re here if you need us! Give us a call at 301.797.1800.